According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) there are “many more weeks to come” for flu season in the United States. And while that might stir up fear and worry, it can also be a cue to stock up on these 5 natural flu remedies. They can help you combat this virus when and if it comes your way.
The flu can be a mild or severe respiratory illness, and symptoms include fever, headache, vomiting, diarrhea, coughing, runny nose and aches throughout the body. Some people choose the flu vaccination to help stave it off. You can also support and strengthen your body’s immunity with these five remedy recommendations.
- How much: 1,000 mg, 3 to 4 times per day
- How it works: Increases white blood cell count and supports immune system function
- Where: Whole fruits and vegetables, like strawberries, oranges, broccoli and kale
- How much: 2,000 IU for every kilogram of body weight daily for three days
- How to works: Helps to regulate the expression of genes in the immune system
- Where: Supplements, like NatureWise Vitamin D3
- How much: 1,000 mg, 2 to 3 times per day
- How it works: Echinacea is an anti-inflammatory herb, and research shows that echinacea can effectively treat both short- and long-term respiratory tract infections.
- Where: Supplements, such as Nature’s Bounty Echinacea 400 mg Natural
- How much: 10 mL per day
- How it works: When given at the onset of the flu, it can deactivate the virus and boost the immune system
- Where: Gaia Herbs Black Elderberry Syrup
- How much: 500 mg, twice per day
- How it works: We usually think of oregano as an herb for pizza, but oregano oil actually has an antiviral effect in the body.
- Where: Supplements, like NOW Oregano Oil
The flu can be a difficult illness to deal with, but you can support your body’s natural defense mechanisms, strengthen your immunity and quicken recovery with these five natural remedies.