A healthy lifestyle should include what’s inside your home. But usually “health” tends to include things like a good diet and regular exercise. And while it’s important to stay fit and eat well, did you know that your home can be a silent source of nasty toxins? So, if you’re trying to remove toxins from your life and live healthy, you’ll want to know about these four basic household items that are forms of toxicity.
Water can be a source of toxins for two reasons. First, if you drink water from a plastic bottle, the chemicals within the plastic (such as phthalates) can leach into the water, especially if the water temperature increases.
Water can also be toxic if you drink it directly from the tap since water authorities do not always test for all pollutants. This means, you could be ingesting pesticides and medications in your water.
Wifi routers and cell phones
If your home has wifi and if you use a cellphone, these devices can be a form of toxicity, too. That’s because they all operate with electromagnetic radiation, or EMF, which in turn creates heat.
According to Dr. Rob Brown, MD and author of Toxic Home/Conscious Home, “Studies have shown that the heating effect is not limited to the skin, but goes deeper into the body…and actually heats the brain itself.” While more research is necessary to understand the effects of EMF heat on brain function and overall health, it’s an important point to keep in mind.
Consider turning off wifi when it’s not being used, or keeping your devices on airplane mode at nighttime.
Not only can EMF create potentially dangerous heat, but EMF can also interrupt the body’s ability to produce melatonin – a hormone necessary for sleep. Lights from lamps, screens, and digital clocks can also interfere with melatonin production.
So, it’s a good idea to limit light sources in your bedroom at night, and to even wear an eye mask to provide your body with the darkness it needs.