There are exercises moves for just about every muscle group. And it’s great to be able to target and isolate certain areas of your body. But if you like to multitask when it comes to fitness, this one move can maximize your time and give you an effective full body workout.
Celebrity fitness trainer, Simone De La Rue, trains stars like Emmy Rossum and Jennifer Garner, and she recently shared a killer move over on her Instagram account (@bodybysimone).
La Rue shares, “I know we are all busy women, so why not try this compound exercise that works multiple muscles groups at the same time.” And in case you’re wondering, this compound exercise targets your quads, hamstrings, glutes, deltoids, traps, biceps and triceps.
In short, this one move packs quite a punch for both upper and lower body. But because it’s challenging, beginners shouldn’t dive right in. Instead, work your way up to doing this move in it’s entirety.
Here’s what you do:
- You’ll need a step and dumbbell
- Place the right foot on top of the step and your left foot on the ground. Both feet should be firmly planted and in line with your shoulders. Hold the dumbbell in your left hand.
- Lower into a squat, keeping your chest open and back straight
- Push out of the squat and balance on your right foot while bringing your left foot up to your knee. This should look similar to the yoga Tree Pose.
- While you’re coming into the single leg balance, lift the dumbbell up overhead, too.
- Repeat, and then switch sides.
Just watch out! Even Jennifer Garner commented on La Rue’s Instagram’s post saying (@jennifer.garner), “You can double up the pain like no one else!”