If you overdo it with false eyelashes, you can end up with dry, brittle lashes. And you might think the only way to deal with this problem is to cover them up with yet another set of voluminous eyelash extensions. But with a little patience and this all-natural, 5-step beauty practice, your can get fuller, longer lashes. The best part? You’ll feel like you’re giving yourself a luxurious spa treatment.
According to Dr. Jeannette Graf, a dermatologist based in New York, your eyelashes grow for six to eight weeks, following by several months of rest. And how you treat your lashes during this regrowth cycle can make all the difference. Here’s what Graf suggests you do each morning and evening for longer, fuller lashes.
- Tea treatment: First, soak tea bags, such as black, lavender or chamomile in boiling water. Then, squeeze the water out and chill them in the fridge. Once chilled, place them on your lids for about 10 minutes. This helps to reduce puffiness or dryness.
- Moisturize: Before going to bed, gently massage olive oil onto the eyelids and leave it on overnight. You can rinse it off in the morning before your usual skincare routine.
- Oil treatment for lashes: Another nighttime step is to apply almond, castor, coconut or emu oil to the base of the lashes.You can do this with a cotton ball to stimulate circulation, which helps nutrients make their way to the hair follicles.
- Apply aloe vera: After your oil treatment, you can seal the deal with a light layer of aloe vera, which is very soothing for damaged eyelashes.
- Morning massage: Upon waking, give your eyelids a gentle massage to increase blood flow to the eyelash follicle.
These five simple steps can help stimulate hair growth for longer, voluminous lashes.