No one wants to waste time working out if it’s not going to give you the results you’re looking for. After all, when you work up a sweat, you better be burning lots of calories, too, right? So, if you want an effective workout, be sure to include these five calorie burning moves into your next sweat session.
It’s true that some exercises get your heart rate going and help you burn calories. But other moves actually burn calories after your workout, too. So, why not do these and get a little more bang for your buck?
EPOC and calorie burning exercise
The reason why the five moves we’re going to talk about are so effective is because of something called, “EPOC”, or Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption.
Here’s how EPOC works.
When you work out, your body uses up oxygen to burn calories. But these moves continue to use oxygen to burn calories after you’re finished with them.
And the more intense the move, the more oxygen your body needs to repair muscles and to recover. In short, the higher the intensity, the greater the post-workout calorie burn is.
So, when you do the following five moves, push yourself and go all out. This will make your EPOC even higher.
Without further ado, here are the top five calorie burning moves to include in your next workout:
- Jump rope (Aim for 100-120 skips per minute)
- Sprint up the stair or run up hill (Try to run for up to 20 seconds)
- Kickboxing (Shoot for 90 seconds of kickboxing with a 30 second rest interval)
- Interval cycling (Try to alternate between moderate pace and high intensity speeds)
- Running (Add quick bursts of sprinting into a steady pace for a higher EPOC)